You may have seen the film City Slickers, where Billy Crystal goes to a cattle ranch in search of his smile. He meets Curly the crusty old cattleman who tells him that the secret of living is to find the 'one thing'.
Curly dies before he can say what the 'one thing' is but Billy eventually works it out for himself and in doing so, finds his smile.
When times are changing fast and you appear to have no control, it is good to reflect on your one thing and with it, find your smile.
This weeks exercise should help;
1. What is one thing you must SEE in the next twelve months?
(Niagara falls? Your long lost cousin? A bigger bank balance?)
2. What is one thing you must HEAR in the next twelve months?
3. What is one thing you must FEEL in the next twelve months?
(balancing on a skateboard? A nice hug? Etc. You get the idea…)
4. What one thing absolutely must happen at work for you to be satisfied with where you are going?
5. What one thing absolutely must happen in your closest relationship for you to be satisfied with where you are both going?
6. When you know what your one thing is then what is one thing you can do to make it happen?
The bright ones amongst you (that’s you) will have worked out that this is just another way of focusing on what you want. Keep this in mind and you’ll find the next few months much easier to deal with.